Sunday, October 5, 2008

Week 1 -- sort of

Well this is the first week of the training, sort of. I hope to start with fairly easy and loose base for October. I'll get stricter to the regimon in November.
Saturday's extension went well except Corisande Hill Rd was washout and closed as of last week. The sign indicated that it'll stay that way till next year. I find it nteresting that it survived all the flooding in the spring and summer but gave way at this last unexpected bout in the fall. Oh, well, I'll have to spend a little time reworking the extended rides so that I can still get some good climbing and distance. Despite that, yesterday's ride was a nice 69.3 miles finished off in 3:40. That's a little faster than intended for base mileage, but the 30 mile Hub ride was a touch fast. I'm partly to blame. I just recieved the heart rate monitor for the Garmin 305 and wanted to see its performance. I cooked the ride a little on Clayton going 23-24 for a good stretch, but when we reached Mason Ridge I could see some people just hanging in looking a little tired. I paced it evenly from there on keeping it in the 20-21 mph range. Bryan went with me for the extension and road everything but Lone Elk. He missed the best climbing of the day. The laps through Lone Elk are really enjoyable as long as you can get around the occaisional car.
I started the rebuild of the old Allez frame yesterday. It's going to look just a little pieced together from a junk yard but nothing will have to be 'rigged' together, just a lot of mix and match used parts. I'll have time this week to finish it.
Dirt Church went sort of today. I ran a little late and no one showed so it was a solo ride. Averaged 10 mph through Lone Wolf-grotpeter-rollercoaster loop. As long as I can keep it together over 12 hours, I think I'll do fine next weekend. I'm going to work on my nutrition plan for the 12 hour this week. I think that'll be key to lasting through it for me; it's something I don't think about much for most races as I can usually pack anything into the gut before the start and never have to eat mid race.

No comments: