Sunday, March 15, 2009

Beginning to feel like race season.

Beautiful weather dominated today... I think it was the first time I raced this course in nice weather. Our team came out in its largest showing yet. In my race we had 6 guys in all.
I had a good line up and I jumped at the go. I knew that I'd have no chance in a mass sprint finish and if the pace is allowed to wane after every move, the attrition would not occur. I also wanted to really test the legs a bit and put in a good workman effort. Early in the race I countered every attack with an attack of my own. Unfortunately, after my winter my speed is weak. I couldn't find the separation. Every time I looked back, I could see myself stretching out the pack but not losing them. Mark showed a lot of strength today and helped keep the field from slacking off. We were very aggressively attacking today and everyone showed some power. It was great to see. I think between all of us we kept a jersey near the front through the whole race. With 4 to go, the field really bunched up and people were slowing to a crawl with everyone trying to be second wheel. I jumped out and stretched it till 2 to go and then tried to recover and pull into position for a finish for the team. Devin finished the best at 8th, Dave followed with a 11th. I rolled in at the end of the first bunch across the line at 24th. Not bad, but I'm going to need to have a few good finishes this year sometime. The bike felt fast and the pro 3's I picked up on Saturday felt solid under speed without any break-in. The first ride on the race wheelset for the year might have something to do with that feeling as well.
Looking at all the photos is impressive. It seems the Hub is in the thick of every picture. But now as I look back at the race, we were everywhere on top of everything. We were only 6 guys but the way we road, people probably would think that we had 2 times that number in the field. We were strong but still have work to do.
My compliments to Neil Das for the excellent photo of me off the front.

No comments: