Monday, April 20, 2009

A view from the 3rd step

I still have a lot of work to do on my time trial ability. I wasn't very sure of myself coming into this weekend; a lot of things off the bike going on that has hampered my riding. Add the weather factor, I didn't expect much good coming. I figured I'd get a real good look at how much farther I need to work. The time trial went well enough for me, but minutes behind the Cat 3 winner. I clocked a 23:51, better than my goal of under 25. I was satisfied, but at this point I figured my weekend would be for the individual events.

We spent the rest of the day looking at the new road course and dining at Stone Hill Winery. I figured my racing was done, so I indulged in some wine and sauerbraten and waited around for the start.

The rain let up for our race thankfully and the weather was looking good. I did a quick warm up, scouted the super fast descent and lined up. On the first lap, I had to yell at a guy holding his brakes on a straight descent. He gapped big and I got around him just in time to keep from being eliminated quickly. The first time up the hill, I could feel the field splintering. I drifted towards the front, and it no longer felt like a field but a small collection of grueling duels. I felt like I was getting nashed by every little move made by the riders. I was finding it more and more difficult to respond to every move. Then Alex showed up and things calmed down. I was glad to see another jersey.

It was down to a few laps to go, when Alex finally faded to the back of the break and I was mostly alone with these two really strong kids and another good rider guy. I almost started to feel defeat set into me. I could feel my legs just giving out and a pain deep from my pits pull over my body. My thoughts drifted from the wheel in front of me. Just before hitting the hill again, I regrouped my concentration. I forgot about the race. I forgot about the people. I forgot about all the shit. You have two choices, fight or lay down and die, if you fight then you'll either win or die trying. That's when I resolved that these kids aren't going to take me out of this race, and I was going to finish it. I came over the hill with a resolved attack at the top. I could hear the announcer calling out my name as I powered over the hill. I couldn't shake the kid yet. For me at this point it was just me and him in the race. People were running up the side of the hill yelling, cheering. My heartrate was pegged at 200 bpm. Apparently this was a really good race for the spectators. The race leader, a kid with strong legs and a good future, being pushed to his limits by a career amateur 'old' guy.

Last lap, last time up the hill, the top is the finish. I couldn't hear the crowd. I felt like blood was shooting from my eyes. I hit the hill ahead of him.. not a the position I should have. I have to be ready to respond to his attack. I picked my gear I thought could do. He attacks me for the last time. I respond but am gapped by a bike length, then two, then more. Out of the saddle every inch of me wanting to get him before the top. I close one bike length, he's fading and I'm gaining, but it's too little too late for me and roll across the line behind him. I stopped to talk to Rusty, but I could still hardly hear. Alex rolls by a minute later yelling something about another lap. I go after him lightly trying to tell him that it's over but he's convinced he still has to go. I decided to follow. For some reason I thought I heard an old Cake song playing in the background.

The Battle

The Defeat

Sunday, we drove back to Hermann through the rain. We got ready through the rain. We warmed up through the rain. We lined up through the rain. Alex and Chris were back and Devin and Mark joined us. We had a good team for the race. For the first 20 miles or so, they kept me well protected. I paid for it with water spraying my in every direction. I could barely see anything at times. Finally, some moves were made and Devin helped me stay with them and when the time was right we started some counters. The large break of 15 or more was made. When Patrick came by and let me know that the race leader wasn't in the group, I decided that it was time to make this stick. It stuck. I knew my team was back with the rest of the field holding them back. Coming back into Hermann I saw that the wheel truck had come behind us. Then the wall. I hit it hard. 16 was too big of a number, we needed to get this down to a more civilized size. Over the top, drop into a strong pace, the wheel truck stayed back and the motorcycle followed us till the wheel truck could return.

We were down to 8. That's a good number. I can do well enough with 8. So I mustered them to work together. Tried to organize some pace lines. The rain was still assailing us from every direction. I was drenched. We almost lost one here or there as the hills came and went, but at the end on the KOM, we were all still together. No one wanted to pull any more. We haven't been making great time, maybe a little paranoid. It didn't seem like the rest of the field should be that far back. I let them attack on the KOM, followed wheels. Over the top, two had a gap, but the descent is fast and by the first turn in Herman we were together again, except two that fell off. My legs were too tired though and I couldn't find a finishing move. I was fifth wheel in the last turn and 5th accross the line.

Thanks to one rider not racing the road race on Sunday, I slid into 3rd place overall. Alex lead the field in at 9th. I couldn't have asked for a better team. The kept me in the race and on Sunday I knew I couldn't let them down. I also have to give thanks to my friend Michelle for the pep talk before the weekend to keep my focus. I don't think I would even showed without her help.

No comments: