Thursday, May 21, 2009

Recovery

Last Sunday's Hellbender lived to its name.  I think most people stuck to a strategy of just sit in till the end and hope their still there.  However when everyone does this, the result is a race where everyone is just waiting to start.  I don't like races like this.  The result: I pulled a lot.  That's okay I knew the pace would keep my full team refreshed and ready for the end even if I wasn't.  The finish hurt alot.  A cramp crept in with about 10 miles to go and I kept working to keep it back.  But in the end I just decided to fight through it.  Painful.  I hoped that a jersey was on my wheel as we crossed the bridge, but there wasn't.  At that point I just kept going in my position and finished 8th.  The next day I was dead tired and all of my muscles hurt.  I skipped my ride into work for the Jeep.  Tuesday was even worse.  By late Tuesday night I was fully blown and contagious.  So the next two days' effort have been to shake it off.  This was maybe a bout of flu, I'm guessing not the swine type because that's supposed to be an apocalyptic plague, and here I am on the mend after a couple of days.  Maybe it's a sign that the dooms day architects are just getting lazy.
Either way I'm hoping this doesn't affect me much for Saturday.  I don't have a chance at winning a time trial, but it is a personal goal to do better than bringing up the rear like last year.  The new ebay special time trial bike is nearly ready, tomorrow will be a test run.

No comments: