Friday, May 22, 2009

TT Ebay Special

First ride on the ebay special time trial frame.  I was pleasantly surpised.  It isn't the best by any measure, but for the price it is thus far proven unbeatable.  I have found only two issues on the build so far.  First,  I was able do my entire 11 mile rough road commute on it with only dropping the chain to the lower ring once over some RR tracks.  It's not a safety issue but an unintentional downshift would probably cost time in a TT.  So a front deraileur, regardless of function, would be good insurance.  The second is the cheap Bontrager post I borrowed from the commuter has issues staying in place on this frame just like the last.  Now it is possible that both frames, being unmarked ebay bargains, suffer from the same defect, but I think that the post is more likely.  Clamping it with extra force seems to remedy this for the short term.  I'll replace the commuter post with something basic.  So after the rework tonight here it is in all it's glory (don't laugh it works):

It has 9spd downtube DA shifters running a 10 spd cassette -- hurray for old fashioned friction.  The front deraileur I just added tonight will keep the chain on the big ring for now.  I don't plan to shift it in tomorrow's TT.  The fork is cheep but it keeps the front wheel in place so I'll run with it for now.

"Not the Victory but the Action; Not the Goal but the Game; In the deed the Glory"
-- Hartley Burr Alexander

No comments: